Monday, February 17, 2014

Rosalie's Birth Story Part Two

Sorry to leave you all hanging, but it really was just so so long and it was way too much for one post. Here is the rest of Rosalie's Birth Story :)


So like I said earlier I was actually having contractions before I even got to the hospital, and they actually started getting worse once after the nurse checked me. Once the Pitocen was started they got bad pretty fast, and I was hurting. Since I was planning on getting an epidural anyways, I just went ahead and got it then. I was checked right before I got the epidural though, and I was already dilated to a 4. I didn’t think that the epidural hurt at all, but the contractions that I was having sure did! Once the epidural was in, I was heaven though, and I was feeling so good! I could still feel the tightening of my stomach during my contractions, but thankfully I felt no pain at all. I could also feel and move my feet, but my legs felt like they were super heavy ha. My mom, sister, and dad came about 5 minutes after the epidural kicked in, and they were surprised at just how good I was feeling. My dad was especially surprised because my mom had given birth to three of us naturally (Go Mom!!!!), and he said it was a very different experience.

The nurse checked me again about 20 minutes after getting the epidural, and she was surprised so see that I was already dilated to a 5. She said that she was going to have the doctor come in and break my water because this would help to move things along even faster. The doctor then came in, and I actually didn’t feel much of anything when she broke my water because of the epidural.  My parents and sister left during this time to get some dinner because they knew that it was going to be a long process.

The monitors that were on my stomach to monitor my contractions and the baby’s heart rate actually started having some troubles when my water was broken. The heart rate monitor wouldn’t pick up the baby’s heartbeat during a contraction, and the nurse was worried about this. She said that she wanted to place some monitors that would actually go inside of me and hook onto the baby and my cervix. I agreed to this, and was hopeful that it would help them to better monitor the baby’s heart rate in correlation with my contractions.

It took a bit of time for the nurse to get the monitors ready to go, and another nurse also came into ask if I would be willing to help with an EKG study. This study was to help doctor’s better monitor a baby’s heart rate via an EKG monitor, so I was more than happy to participate in this study. I was already going to have the monitor placed inside of me anyways, so I saw no reason not to participate. It took even more time for me to fill out some paperwork, and for the nurse to bring in the monitor. By this time it had been about 20 minutes since they had broken my water, and I was ready for them to put the monitor in so that I could know for sure that my baby’s heart rate was where it needed to be.

Things were finally ready to go, and the nurse went to place the monitor inside of me. She began to feel inside to see where I was dilated to before she put the monitor in place, and she had a look of shock on her face. She told me that I was already dilated to a ten, and that there was no need for the monitors at all. I couldn’t believe that I was already completely dilated because I had thought that this process was going to take hours and hours. The nurse then had another nurse come in, and she told her what was going on. This nurse then went to talk to the doctor, and came back into the room to tell us that the doctor wanted me to rest for an hour and then start pushing. The nurse that had been with me the whole time said that there was no way the baby was going to wait an hour, and that I needed to start pushing now. They then had me do a practice push, and they could see the top of the baby’s head! At this time I knew that I needed to call my mom and sister back into the room because we were going to have a baby very soon! Chanse hurried and called them for me, and they were shocked, but rushed back to the room as fast as they could.

The doctor came in minutes later, and things were set up quickly.  My mom and sister arrived just in time for me to start pushing. I pushed hard through 3 contractions, and our sweet baby girl arrived! It was so surreal and amazing when they held her up for the first time, and I loved that she was just screaming and screaming. Chanse helped to cut the umbilical cord, and then they took her over to the table to care for her. I was then able to have some skin to skin time with her, and the second that they put her on my chest she just stopped crying. It was an experience that I will never forget, and I already want to go back in time and do it all over again! I feel so blessed to have such a short and easy labor. I was started on the Pitocen at 8:00 and I delivered her at 10:38. The doctor actually said that the next time I am pregnant I need to come in when I start feeling even the slightest pain with contractions because Chanse will likely be delivering our baby at home if I don’t ha. I feel like our baby girl is the biggest blessing to Chanse and me, and I am so thankfully to Heavenly Father for trusting me with such a precious spirit. We love and adore her, and already couldn’t imagine our lives without her in it!













8 comments:

  1. Congrats!! She is so darling!

    Your story is so crazy & awesome. You're pretty lucky it all went so fast! (I say that because mine took forrrreeevvverrr. haha). SO glad it all went well & she arrived safely!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so lucky! I honestly thought that it was going to take hours and hours!

      Delete
  2. That was the most wonderful story, especially since we are so far away and wasn't able to be there! thank you for sharing, we love you all so much and please kiss her for us everyday!
    With all our love mom and dad R. Elder and Sister Rinderknecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you both so much, and I will be sure to give her tons of kisses for you :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats! What a beautiful baby girl you have there! And on top of that you look stunning, are you sure you just a baby? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! We are so obsessed with her :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So amazing!! I'm so jealous yours was so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still surprises me that it was so fast Kaitlin! I was expecting such a long labor, but I am so thankful :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments! :)